1978 – (May 26-28) – VCON 6:
Guest of Honour: A.E. VAN VOGT. Fan Guest of Honour: SUSAN WOOD.
Venue: Gage Residence, UBC, Vancouver.
CONCOM: Chairperson – Fran Skene; Programming – Fran Skene; Treasurer – David Greer; Secretary – Cara Elrod; Security – John Fraser; BCSFA Liaison – Ed Beauregard; Computer Services – Tom Balabanov; Registrars – Helene Flanders & Steve Forty; Publicity – Helene Flanders & Ken Wong; Costume Bacchanal – Jo-Anne McBride; Art Show – Debra Simms; Audio & Video – Alan R. Betz; Films – Ed Hutchings; Hucksters – Ken Wong & Jim Johnston; Publications – Barb Dryer; Hotel Liaison – Ed Hutchings; Trivia Quiz – Holly Fraser, Ed Beauregard & Alan R. Betz; Chief Go-fer – Paul Simms; Elron Awards – John Thomson; Bar – Kat Ferguson; Elron Awards – John Thomson & Ed Beauregard.
Sponsored: by BCSFA, the British Columbia Science Fiction Association. Three days of double-track programming with separate rooms for films, art show, hucksters, gaming & hospitality, plus Student Union Building Cafeteria for banquet.
FIRST VCON to feature a “Dead Authors” panel, FIRST to present a trivia quiz with teams competing for prizes, FIRST to have a Regency period dance, FIRST to have two dances, FIRST to feature Filksong programming, and FIRST — in addition to audio recording — to have selected program events recorded on video tape by Al Betz.
FRIDAY (May 26/78 – Vcon 6) events included:
– A ROOM OF OUR OWN drop-in centre “for members interested in liberation issues”;
– THE NEOFAN SLIDE AND TALK SHOW by John Thomson;
– YOUR FIRST TIME: CHILDREN’S SF & FANTASY panel with Susan Wood, Fran Skene & Lesleigh Luttrell;
– THE GREAT TRIVIA QUIZ COMPETITION with Quiz Master Ed Beauregard;
– FILKSINGING hosted by Vera Johnson;
– a GoH ADDRESS by A.E. van Vogt;
– and a MEET THE AUTHORS Reception.
SATURDAY (May 27/78 – Vcon 6) featured:
– CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND: THE ROLE OF FLYING CREATURES IN S&SF with moderator Julian Reid & panelists A.E. van Vogt, H. Warner Munn & Ted Collins;
– ALTERNATE FANNISH WORLDS moderated by Ed Beauregard with panelists Elinor Busby, Lari Davidson, Barb Dryer & Gary Stevens;
– a SPACE COLONIES slide show & talk by Greg Bennett;
– The USES AND ABUSES OF SF talk by Crawford Kilian;
– a WRITERS WORKSHOP;
– the REGENCY DANCE;
– an ALTERNATIVES TO PATRIARCHY: ENVISIONING NEW FUTURES panel moderated by Susan Wood with F.M. Busby & Paul Novitsky;
– THE FUTURE OF COMICS with moderator Terry Hamilton & Rand Holmes, Peter Green & Brent Boates;
– GODZILLA, THE REPTILE’S ROLE talk by Michel Walsh;
– DEAD AUTHORS PANEL with moderator Chuck Davis & Hugo Gernsback ( Al Betz ), H.P. Lovecraft ( Mason Harris ), Mary W. Shelly ( Elinor Busby ), and H. G. Wells ( Ed Hutchings );
– FGoH ADDRESS by Susan Wood;
– COSTUME BACCHANAL with halftime entertainment by Vera Johnson FILKSINGING;
– followed by a DANCE
– and an ART AUCTION.
SUNDAY (May 28/78 – Vcon 6) had:
– a STAR TREK panel with Barb Dryer moderating & panelists Robert Earl Day, Adrian
Fischer, Cat Middlemiss & David Schmidt;
– a panel on REVIEWING & LITERARY CRITICISM moderated by Susan Wood with Frank
– Denton, Jeanne Gomoll and William Gibson;
– BANQUET with SPEECHES by A.E. van Vogt & Susan Wood & ELRON AWARDS presented by John Thomson;
– the HELMET BASH SCA MEDIEVAL TOURNEY ” ( held outside ),
– panel ON COLLECTING moderated by Ed Beauregard with Mike Bailey, Chuck Garvin & Bill Trojan;
– Panel on ECTOPIA: HOW TO MODERATE with John Berry ( mod ) & Loren MacGregor & Paul Novitsky;
– CLOSE ENCOUNTERS WITH HELL, HEAVEN, AND THE FEMALE: EXTRATERRESTRIAL RACES IN LOVECRAFT, LE GUIN, & OTHERS talk by Mason Harris;
– and a FANZINE WORKSHOP with Denys Howard ( Mod ) & Vaughn Fraser, Jo-Anne McBride & Dave Vereschagrin.