1984 – (May 25-27) – VCON 12:
Guest of Honour: SAMUEL R. DELANEY. Other Guests of Honour: THEODORE STURGEON & ELIZABETH A. LYNN. Toast Master: FRANK M. ROBINSON. Fan Guest of Honour: DEBBIE NOTKIN.
Venue: Gage Residence, UBC, Vancouver.
CONCOM: Chair – Jo-Anne McBride; Publications – Donna McMahon; Special Needs & Childcare – Evelyn Beheshti; Films & Video – Grandee Englehart; Bacchanal – Terry Kristoff; Hospitality – Donna Markbride; Security – Mike Desotell; Gophers – Myles Bos; Filksinging – Josette Kernaghan; Music & Mall – Bruce Kalnins; Writer’s Workshop – Casey Arnott; Art Show – Warren Oddson; Registrar – Ed Kedzierski; Library Coordinator – Ray Aaron; Trivia – Stuart Cooper; Treasurer – Mathilda Smille; Children’s Programming – Janet Bellwether; Fan Room – Fran Skene; Gaming – William Lowe; Technical Consultant – Al Betz. ( Elron Awards not presented. )
Sponsored: by BCSFA, the British Columbia Science Fiction Association. Three days of quadruple-track programming with separate rooms for films, art show, dealers, childcare, gaming, Fanzine fandom & hospitality con-suite. The Portland-based ‘Friends of the Doctor’ Dr. Who club provided programming throughout the convention in a room dedicated to their group.
FIRST VCON to feature a Fan Room ( run by Fran Skene & BCSFA Archivist Gerald Boyko ), FIRST to offer quadruple-track programming, & FIRST to offer Special Needs services ( a braille program book at the registration desk & sign language interpreters available for the deaf ).
– WALKING TOURS OF THE UBC CAMPUS;
– TOURS OF TRIUMF ( Nuclear Facility );
– MAKING CONNECTIONS: WHAT IT’S LIKE TO BE GAY IN THE SCIENCE FICTION COMMUNITY closed reception;
– TRIVIA QUIZ round 1 with Quiz Master Stuart Cooper;
– COSTUME WORKSHOP with Terry Kristoff;
– William Gibson READING;
– ADULT’S STORYTIME with Nan Gregory & Melanie Roy;
– OPENING CEREMONIES;
– & SCARY STORIES with Aphrodite Harris & Jessica Amanda Salmonson.
– ( Note: The U.S.S. Kestral Star Trek club had a dedicated room this day for programming of their own. )
– SPACE STATION lecture by Andrew Benkovich;
– SURVIVAL NOVELS panel moderated by Donna Markbride;
– “SON OF” PHILMS YOU LOVE TO HATE panel with Grandee Englehart;
– FOREIGN COMICS moderated by Bruce Kalnins;
– INTRODUCTION: PHASES OF AMATEUR FILMMAKING part 1 with Roger Brown;
– POETRY WORKSHOP led by Gene Van Troyer;
– US SPACE PROGRAM panel with Mike Dezotell;
– PERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS WITH WRITING AND CHARACTERS panel moderated by Samuel Delany;
– OBLIGATORY 1984 PANEL with F.M. Busby, Elinor Busby & others;
– ROLE MODELS IN SF moderated by Evelyn Beheshti;
– SARDONYX NET DISCUSSION GROUP led by Elizabeth A. Lynn;
– CARTOONIST WARS with Lari Davidson, Richard Bartrop, Warren Oddson & others;
– WHY NOT WESTERNS? panel with William Gibson, Steven Bryan Bieler & Elleen Gunn;
– INTRODUCTION TO MYSTERY FANDOM moderated by Frank Denton;
– SCIENCE FICTION RADIO DISCUSSION GROUP re The Ether Patrol with Evelyn Beheshti, Barry Reuger & Vaughn Fraser;
– TRIVIA QUIZ part 2;
– AUTHORS’ RECEPTION;
– CHILDREN’S STORY HOUR;
– & FILKSINGING.
– an indoor SCA display;
– Brunch with speeches by Frank M. Robinson, Elizabeth A. Lynn & Debbie Notkin;
– WHAT THE HELL USE IS A COMPUTER ANYWAY? panel with Elleen Gunn & William Lowe;
– MORE ADVANCED TECHNIQUES IN FILMMAKING part 2 with Roger Brown;
– ART AUCTION;
– WRITING FICTION WORKSHOP;
– YOUNG PEOPLE’S PANEL with Janet Bellwether;
– WRITING NON-FICTION workshop;
– TRIVIA QUIZ FINALS;
– PROS & PROLETARIAT AUTHORS’ RECEPTION,
– & DEAD DOG PARTY.